About Peoria's Sustainability Efforts
The city of Peoria showed its commitment to promoting a more sustainable future when we completed our first Sustainability Action Plan in 2009. Much of our success to date can be attributed to the steadfast focus on the specific initiatives outlined in the plan. Staff has continually monitored the goals in this original action plan to ensure that we are able to deliver on our commitment. Peoria’s progressive approach to sustainability focuses on not only what is good for our environment, but also on fiscal responsibility. As its program continues to mature, Peoria is seeking to update its Sustainability Action Plan to integrate forward-looking strategic efforts. The revised Sustainability Action Plan is organized around the following Guiding Principles:
- Improving the quality of life in neighborhoods. The City recognizes that sustainability initiatives must aim at creating and enhancing a thriving, safe and secure community for all community members and across all generations within Peoria.
- Enhancing our Environment through a Commitment to Responsible Stewardship: The City is committed to implementing policies and programs that protect the quality of our air, water and natural open spaces. The City is also committed to promoting the use of renewable energy while reducing our overall consumption of resources by encouraging recycling and water conservation.
- Leadership by Example: The City is dedicated to implementing sustainable policies and practices in municipal operations without compromising the high levels of services that our citizens expect.
- Awareness and Participation throughout the Community: The City will foster an ethic of conservation and stewardship in the community by working in partnership with individual citizens, schools, businesses, and community-based groups to create, sponsor and promote sustainable awareness and education programs.
- Environmental Quality and Economic Health are Interdependent: The City is committed to expanding and diversifying our economy, while promoting the use of sustainable products and practices by existing businesses and residents, as well as in municipal operations.
- Local Actions have Regional and National Implications: The City realizes that its actions are part of a larger community interest. Accordingly, our sustainable initiatives will make a significant contribution and seek to support regional and national sustainability efforts.
Broad focus areas, along with specific goals and objectives for each, were identified through the interdepartmental efforts of the existing sustainability workgroups. Each member of Peoria’s staff has a role in advancing these sustainability goals through their actions. The successful implementation of the identified goals and objectives will ensure Peoria is competitively positioned for future success while preserving the quality of life for future generations.