New Home Xeriscape Rebate Program – $150
Effective January 14, 2013, the Water Conservation Rebate Program is closed and no longer distributing or accepting rebate applications. The Water Conservation Rebate Program will resume at the start of the next fiscal year in July 1, 2013 pending City Council budget approval.
Purpose: To encourage residents to choose low-water-use landscaping when purchasing
a new home.
Description: Xeriscape refers to seven principles, which if used properly, ensure that landscapes are water efficient, yet creative and colorful:
- Proper landscape planning and design
- Low water use plants
- Appropriate turf areas
- Efficient irrigation
- Soil improvements
- Use of mulches
- Appropriate maintenance
Requirements: An account holder will be eligible to receive a rebate - If he/she meets the
1. A City of Peoria water customer
(not sewer or trash-only).
2. Home must be purchased on or after July 1, 2010. Proof of new home construction is required.
Sales contract or purchase agreement must be attached to application.
3. A copy of the yard design, irrigation plan, and plant list from the builder must be submitted
with the application.
4. Fifty percent or more of the total landscaping area (front and back) must be xeriscape landscaping. This does not include pools, buildings, patios or driveways as part of the landscaped square footage. Of the Xeriscape landscaping there must be a minimum 50% plant material (at maturity). The determination as to which groundcovers, shrubs, and trees are to be considered low water use is based on the comprehensive Low-Water-Use Plant List compiled by the Arizona Department of Water Resources.
Click here to view Xeriscape: Landscaping with Style in the Arizona Desert. A step-by-step guide for planning, installing and caring for your landscape.
Click here to view Landscape Plants for the Arizona Desert. All plants featured are approved low-water-use. Not all Phoenix AMA approved plants are featured. For the entire list click on the link below.
Click here to view or download a list of Adobe Acrobat PDFs of the Phoenix AMA Drought Tolerant / Low water use plant list and lists for other Arizona cities and counties.
Click here to calculate your square footage of low water use plant material.
5. No fountains may exist unless they are of a cascading and non-spray design.
6. The installation of an inorganic groundcover must not conflict with other City of Peoria landscaping requirements as prescribed by existing policies, procedures, and ordinances.
7. Upon meeting all requirements, a one-time credit of $150.00 will appear on your City of Peoria utility bill within 1-2 billing cycles.
Procedure: To request an application, complete the online REBATE APPLICATION REQUEST FORM or call (623) 773-7286.
Once your name, address, phone number, and account number have been verified, an official application will be sent through
the mail. Complete the application and submit it to the City of Peoria Public Works-Utilities Department. The Water Conservation staff will review your application and schedule an inspection to view your yard to see if it meets the program requirements.
Questions: If you have further questions, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (623) 773-7286.
Thank you for your interest in water conservation!