Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
The Emergency Medical Services Section supports fire operations by administrating and managing the Fire Department's Emergency Medical Services Program so that internal and external customers are provided with current information and professional pre-hospital medical and health services.
Over 80% of the Department’s calls for service are responses to medical emergencies. The EMS Section provides the following services:
- Response to major emergencies to coordinate medical services.
- Manage certifications and training required for provision of Basic Life
- Support and Advanced Life Support to the community.
- Act as liaison between the Fire Department, other Emergency Medical Service (EMS) providers and the medical community, including area hospitals.
- Manages the Ambulance Transportation Contract with the Department’s private provider.
- Coordination of continuing medical education and training within the Fire Department.
- Coordinates the Infection Control Program through Phoenix Fire Department.
- Evaluate, select, purchase and manage inventories of all medical equipment.
- Operate a Quality Assurance (QA) program for the delivery of emergency medical services.
- Develop policies and procedures dealing with all aspects of emergency medical services.
- Manage medical records.
The Peoria Fire Department has teams of specially trained paramedics available to respond to toxicological exposures such as those that occur in hazardous materials incidents. They are equipped with specialized pharmaceuticals to treat victims exposed to a variety of hazardous substances.