Xeriscape Rebate Program – up to $1650
Effective January 14, 2013, the Water Conservation Rebate Program is closed and no longer distributing or accepting rebate applications. The Water Conservation Rebate Program will resume at the start of the next fiscal year in July 1, 2013 pending City Council budget approval.
Purpose: The intent of this rebate is to encourage a permanent reduction in the amount of water used for landscape irrigation by establishing an incentive to allow customers to qualify for a credit on their water utility bill.
Description: Xeriscape refers to seven principles, which if used properly, ensure that landscapes are water efficient, yet creative and colorful:
- Proper landscape planning and design
- Low water use plants
- Appropriate turf areas
- Efficient irrigation
- Soil improvements
- Use of mulches
- Appropriate maintenance
Click here to view Xeriscape: Landscaping with Style in the Arizona Desert. A step-by-step guide for planning, installing and caring for your landscape.
You can reduce your outdoor water use by up to 50% if you convert grass to Xeriscape!
Requirements: An account holder will be eligible to receive a rebate (one rebate per account per fiscal year) if:
1. A City of Peoria water customer (not sewer or trash-only). Must have an individual account directly billed by the City of Peoria.
2. At least 500 square feet must be converted from high water use landscaping (i.e. grass) to Xeriscape. Converted area should not include more than two separate areas, unless HOA or commercial project.
3. Landscapes must be measured and photographed by Water Conservation staff before and after the conversion.
4. Landscape conversions made without prior inspection must have been completed after July 1, 2010 and present copies of receipts, complete plant list, and before photos that show proof of grass. (Photos of dirt patches are unacceptable. No exceptions.) Please call for more details.
5. Copies of purchase receipts and complete plant list required.
6. To qualify for the minimum rebate, at least 25% plant material must be installed.
To qualify for the maximum rebate amount, at least 50% plant material must be installed.
Plant material must be chosen from the Arizona Department of Water Resources Phoenix Active Management Area Drought Tolerant/Low Water Use Plant List. All trees and plants will be calculated at its mature size.
Click here to view Landscape Plants for the Arizona Desert. All plants featured are approved low water use. Not all Phoenix AMA approved plants are featured. For the entire list click on the link below.
Click here to view or download a list of Adobe Acrobat PDFs of the Phoenix AMA Drought Tolerant / Low water use plant list and lists for other Arizona cities and counties.
Click here to calculate your square footage of low water use plant material.
7. Artificial/synthetic turf installation only is ineligible for the program.
8. No fountains may exist unless they are of a cascading and non-spray design.
9. The City requires that irrigation systems must have a backflow preventer and a City permit is needed if electrical or plumbing work is part of the conversion. The permit fee will be waived as part of this program.
10. The installation of an inorganic groundcover must not conflict with other City of Peoria landscaping requirements as prescribed by existing policies, procedures, and ordinances.
11. Must complete conversion within one year after application submittal to the water conservation office.
12. Previous rebate application requests and rebate credits are ineligible for this program.
Procedure: To request an application, complete the online REBATE APPLICATION REQUEST FORM or call (623) 773-7286.
Once your name, address, phone number, and account number have been verified, an official application will be sent through the mail. BEFORE beginning your landscape conversion, complete the application and submit it to the City of Peoria Public Works-Utilities Department. The Water Conservation staff will review your application and schedule an inspection to view the area you will be converting and ensure it will meet the program requirements.
NOTE: The landscape will be measured and photographed before AND after the conversion. After the first inspection is complete, you may begin your landscape conversion. The use of impermeable plastic sheeting in your landscape is NOT recommended, and if you live in a HOA, please make sure that your conversion project meets your community’s requirements. When your conversion is complete, please contact the City of Peoria Public Works-Utilities Department at (623) 773-7286 to schedule the second inspection of your landscape. You must provide copies of your purchase receipts from the conversion and a list of the plants that were installed in the landscape at the time of the second inspection. After the final inspection is approved, the credit (based upon the chart below) will appear on your City of Peoria utility bill within 1-2 billing cycles.
|Xeriscape Rebate Amounts - Based upon area converted and percent of low water use plant material (at maturity).
*Same rebate amount for all customer types
|Properties that add 50% or more low water use plant material
||Properties that add 25% low water use plant material
|500 -999 sq ft= $225
|1000 - 1499 sq ft = $375
|1500 - 1999 sq ft = $525
|2000 - 2499 sq ft = $675
|2500 - 2999 sq ft = $825
|3,000-3,999 sq ft = $1050
|4,000-4,999 sq ft = $1350
|5,000+ sq ft = $1650
|500 - 999 sq ft = $90
|1000 - 1499 sq ft = $150
|1500 - 1999 sq ft = $210
|2000 - 2499 sq ft = $270
|2500 - 2999 sq ft = $330
|3,000-3,999 sq ft = $420
|4,000-4,999 sq ft = $540
|5,000+ sq ft = $660
Zero-scapes, rock and no low water use plant material, are strongly discouraged as they promote hot, barren, and unattractive landscapes.
Questions: If you have further questions, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (623) 773-7286.
Thank you for your interest in water conservation!